Continuing on with my Sense and Sensibility adaptation binge, I wrapped up my mini film fest with the 2008 BBC version. I was not prepared to like this one at all because BBC blew it so badly with the 1981 version, and I am a totes fan of the 1995 version.
I watched it at and have to admit it does a better job of making sense of JA’s novel of mixed up romances.
What I liked:
- more actual dialogue and character development
- actors closer in age to those of the novel characters
- the mother–classy and nurturing
- Edward, who seemed more believable than Hugh Grant’s version
- including characters who had previously been left out, like Sir John’s wife and children and Lucy’s sister
What I didn’t like:
- too much kissing! I’m not against kissing, but JA didn’t have kissing in her novels
- Elinor didn’t have the emotional range like Emma Thompson, especially when it looked like Marianne might die from her fever
- Willoughby–much too young and spoiled. He seemed more like a boy band member than a romantic rich kid who wants it all.
Overall, I prefer this version if wanting to “watch” the book, but Emma’s version is definitely the one I prefer for the cinematic thrill of watching true love take place. And I love watching Willoughby riding away on his white horse (is that symbolic that he is a good guy gone wrong?)
Note: This will be my last post on this site. I meant to only post my NaNoWriMo novel and then I got caught up in the thrill of comments and followers. Unfortunately, school commitments has taken its toll and one must go. Since school is mandatory and blogging an option, I must give up blogging.
I appreciate your follows and comments and will keep the site up. I won’t be posting anymore though.
Farewell (for now, perhaps)
P.S. I suggest popping over to www.cricketmuse.wordpress.com for continuing Emily Dickinson and Jane Austen entries.
- Jane Calling: Some Adaptations Make No Sense (or Sensibility) (veranano.wordpress.com)
- Jane Calling: Darcy and Liz Senselessly in Love (veranano.wordpress.com)
- Jane Calling: Emma Makes Sense (veranano.wordpress.com)
- Jane Calling: Some Sensibility (veranano.wordpress.com)